Policy Number: 18.104.22.168
Category: Information Privacy
Effective: July 12, 2017
Revision History: Originally effective January 16, 2013
Review Date: July 11, 2020
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
. The purpose of this policy is to regulate the use of security cameras to:
- Achieve a safe and secure campus environment and protect University property.
- Support the mission and charge of the University Police Department.
- Provide transparency in the use of security camera technology.
. This policy applies to all University staff, faculty, and students as well
as any third-parties who are doing work on behalf of the University that
use cameras on property own and/or utilized by the University for safety
- Purpose . The purpose of this policy is to regulate the use of security cameras to:
Security camera equipment and technology
- All security cameras must be integrated into the University Police Department’s video management system in Morgantown.
- Existing security equipment may be used only until the manufacturers’ announced end of service or end of life cycle or replacement.
- Audio recording is not permitted unless consent has been given by one party to the conversation or otherwise in accordance with applicable laws.
- The use of “dummy” or non-functional security cameras is prohibited.
Security camera placement and signage.
- Security cameras may not be placed in areas where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. This includes any area in which a person may be totally or partially nude, and areas that exist specifically for the health or comfort of employees, including, but not limited to: places designated for the safeguarding of employee possessions, restrooms, shower rooms, locker rooms, dressing rooms and employee lounges.
- All buildings and grounds on the University campus are subject to security camera coverage, either in fixed or temporary mounts, in accordance with this policy and all other applicable laws.
- University Police will be consulted before the installation of any security camera and/or monitoring device on any University property. University Police will determine if installation is warranted and/or meets appropriate laws and University standards and policies.
- Security camera recordings.
- Digital and/or analog recordings will be stored for review for a minimum of twenty-five (25) days or for such a period as may be governed by applicable laws, or in accordance with evidentiary requirements.
- Security camera recordings will be protected from unauthorized access in accordance with applicable laws and University policies and/or standards.
- Security camera equipment and technology .
- Security camera: A camera used for monitoring or recording public areas to enhance public safety, monitor restricted areas or equipment, discourage theft and other criminal activities and to prevent, investigate and resolve incidents.
- WVU third-party: An individual or an entity that has an affiliation with WVU (e.g., retirees, consultants, presenters, camp attendees, vendors).
- WVU’s Chief Information Officer, supported by the Executive Director for Enterprise Support, will coordinate with appropriate University entities on the implementation and enforcement of this policy.
- Violation or non‐compliance of this policy will be addressed in accordance with established WVU disciplinary policies and procedures, as issued and enforced by the appropriate authorities. Failure to comply with this or other related standards may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment or studies.