Every student gets a unique set of credentials to access MIX email, eCampus, STAR and other WVU systems. You can change your password and perform other tasks at login.wvu.edu.
WVU Login credentials and Duo two-factor authentication are for students only.
Parents and guardians should NEVER log into any WVU system using a student's username
and password or add devices to a student's two-factor account. As an alternative,
students can grant their guests access to billing, financial aid and other information
Duo Two-Factor Authentication
All WVU employees and students must use Duo two-factor authentication. You will be prompted to set up Duo when you try to access a secure WVU system, like Portal. Download the free Duo Mobile app on your phone and follow the on-screen instructions. If you don’t want to use your phone, you can purchase a Duo display token at any WVU Barnes & Noble bookstore, in-store or online.
Generate Backup Codes
After setting up Duo, go to login.wvu.edu to generate single-use codes to have as backup in case you lose access to your primary device. Store them in your wallet or another secure location, cross them out as you use them, and generate a new list when you’ve used all 10.
What Computer Should I Buy?
- Computer Recommendations by College
- General Computer Buying Recommendations
- Health Sciences Computer Program
- Contact the ITS Service Desk to receive remote assistance with ITS-supported systems and applications. 304-293-4444 or ITSHelp@mail.wvu.edu
- Contact the HSC ITS Service Desk to receive remote assistance with HSC-supported
systems and applications.
Computer Support: 304-293-3631
SOLE Support: 304-293-2491
- Visit an ITS Service Center to receive in-person assistance with ITS-supported
systems or your Mountaineer ID card.
Vandalia Lounge in the Mountainlair: 304-293-2040
G-118 Bennett Tower: 304-293-6201
- ITS doesn’t provide computer repair services. Contact a local private shop for your repair needs.
Software and Storage
Students get FREE and discounted software!
Download free Microsoft Office on up to five devices.
Note: To claim, add @mail.wvu.edu to your username instead of @mix.wvu.edu. MIX emails won’t work.
- Download free Sophos anti-virus on up to three devices.
- Before purchasing software, view all free and reduced price software at slic.wvu.edu.
- Students receive unlimited Google Drive cloud storage with their MIX email address.
Mountaineer ID Card
Your Mountaineer Card is more than your photo ID. It’s your access to the PRT, athletic events, the Student Recreation Center, residence and dining halls, Mountain Line transit and more. You will swipe your ID card to use your dining plan, Dining Dollars and Mountie Bounty. Keep your ID card safe! Replacements cost $30. Mountaineer Card usage at Beckley or Keyser campuses may be limited.
WVU does NOT allow personal wireless printers on our secure WVU.Encrypted Wi-Fi. If you bring a personal printer, it must have a wired USB connection, and wireless capabilities must be disabled. Students are encouraged to use a web-based service called MyPrinting, and pay for their prints using Mountie Bounty.
Email, Internet and Gaming
- Students get a Gmail account known as MIX email. Set up your MIX (Gmail) on your phone.
- Students should connect their mobile devices and computers to WVU.Encrypted. This secure wireless network extends across campus and residence halls. Just enter your WVU Login credentials to connect.
- To use gaming consoles, TVs and internet entertainment devices, you must first register the device MAC address by logging into mydevices.wvu.edu, then connecting to WVU.PLAY. Wii devices will not connect because they are older technology.
- Have someone visiting? They should register and connect to the WVU.Guest network.
- When traveling, students can connect to Wi-Fi networks at other participating universities around the world through eduroam, a secure roaming access service. To connect, add @mail.wvu.edu to your username instead of @mix.wvu.edu. MIX emails won’t work.
- Internet service and cable TV at University Place and University Place are NOT provided by WVU. For cable TV assistance, call Comcast at (855) 638-2855. For Internet support, call ITG Networks at (800) 374-5872.
NEVER share your Login credentials, Duo two-factor device or Mountaineer ID card with a friend. This violates the Acceptable Use of Data and Technology Resources policy. Get tips on how to make strong passwords, spot phishing scams and more at DefendYourData.wvu.edu.
Portal is a single gateway to a variety of services and applications, such as:
- STAR (Banner) is the system used to view financial aid, pay tuition, register for classes, view class schedules and more.
- eCampus (Blackboard) is an online learning tool that students use to complete assignments for both online and lecture-based classes. Health Sciences students may also use a system called SOLE.
- DegreeWorks gives students a checklist of objectives required for graduation, including major requirements, major electives, capstone and General Education Foundations (GEF) requirements.
- Schedule Builder lets you create a course schedule and factor in other activities, such as work or extracurriculars.
- WVU+kc (Kuali Coeus) is the tool graduate students use to submit their theses and dissertations electronically.
- WVU Directory
- Office of the University Registrar
- Office of Student Conduct
- Academic Calendar
- Financial Aid
- Student Employment
- Technology Policies
Stay Up to Date