Computers & Support
- For general technology support, contact the ITS Service Desk at 304-293-4444,
- Forgot your password? No need to call. Check or reset your account and change your passwords yourself at login.wvu.edu.
- Get general computer buying recommendations or find recommendations by college.
- Learn about personal computer repair services or visit ITS Walk-Up Support for brief consultations.
- Some students will need information about the Health Sciences Center Mandatory Student Laptop Program. Students who have NOT been admitted to a Health Sciences program may want to use their own existing machines and/or WVU computer labs for freshman year. Once admitted to the Dentistry, Dental Hygiene, Medical Doctor, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Pathology Assistant, Nursing or Pharmacy programs, students MUST purchase a laptop (currently a MacBook Air 13) and accessories from the Health Sciences Center.
These packages include extended warranty and insurance coverage, full technical support for hardware/software problems, loaner equipment when needed, hardware accessories and program-specific medical resource software. All laptops and hardware accessories are encrypted to meet HSC security standards. Students will receive details about costs, specifications and more when admitted to these programs. The fee will be a separate line item on the student account, in addition to tuition and fees. The cost of this required program is a recognized educational requirement and is included in financial aid calculations.
- Don't pay for Microsoft Office. All WVU students get it free! (Please note you'll have to add @mail.wvu.edu to your username to install and activate. MIX addresses won't work.) All WVU students also get free Kaspersky Anti-Virus to install on as many three devices. You'll need to enter your MIX email address at freeav.wvu.edu to download.
Students qualify for a steep discount on
Adobe Creative Cloud. Pay only $68 a year for access. That’s a significant
savings over Adobe’s special first-year pricing for students ($240/year).
Check it out at
- Our Software Licensing Information Center (SLIC) has other free or discounted software, too.
Students can email or upload documents and print from anywhere with
MyPrinting. Users must have valid Login credentials, a WVU email account
and a Mountaineer Card with a Mountie Bounty balance.
WVU does NOT support the use of personal wireless printers.
If you bring a printer, use a USB cable to connect. Most wireless printers
can't connect to a secure network like WVU.Encrypted, so your privacy can be
compromised, and whatever you are printing could be visible to others.
- Computer labs supported by ITS are available on the Evansdale campus. WVU Libraries IT staff also support 425 computers for student use in three locations.
- DegreeWorks provides main-campus students and their advisors with up-to-date information on progress toward graduation. This system is not available on the regional campuses.
- eCampus is the online learning management system, which can be used for both online and face-to-face courses at all WVU campuses.
Portal is a single gateway to a variety of critical services
and applications, from accessing eCampus, MIX email (Gmail) and STAR to checking
the status of the PRT.
- Schedule Builder lets you create customized class schedules faster and easier, with less guesswork and risk of making a mistake. The tool also improves your chances of getting a full schedule and graduating on time.
- STAR (Students & Technology Achieving Results) is the system students can use to get information about financial aid, course schedules and catalogs and to register for classes.
- All graduate students must submit their theses and dissertations electronically. Read up on the requirements before you get started!
- WVU+kc (Kuali Coeus) is a tool students must use when planning to conduct a survey or interviews as part of a research project. Protocols are submitted to the WVU Institutional Review Board to ensure that the rights, safety, and well-being of the human research subjects involved are protected. Most dissertation/thesis committees will require an approved IRB protocol before presenting.
News & Outages
- Keep up with both planned maintenance and unplanned IT outages of important systems by following ITS on social media. You can "like" WVU Information Technology on Facebook or follow us @WVUITServices on Twitter.
- The Mountaineer Card is more than your photo ID. In Morgantown, it's your access to the PRT, athletic events, the Student Recreation Center, residence hall doors, computer labs, libraries and more. When you have a Mountie Bounty balance, you can use it as a debit card on and off campus. Your account will be activated when you deposit money at mymountaineercard.wvu.edu. At Potomac State College of WVU, Mountie Bounty is used in dining halls, the bookstore and residence hall laundry facilities. The Mountaineer Card is not available at WVU Tech in Montgomery or Beckley.
PLEASE NOTE: Sharing Mountaineer Cards with anyone, including friends and family, is prohibited. Nor should you share your WVU Login password with parents, fellow students or others, even if it is to deposit money into your Mountie Bounty account.
Email & Internet
- Learn more about MIX (Gmail) , including how to put it on your mobile device.
- Students MUST connect personal devices such as laptops, desktops, tablets
and phones to the secure
WVU.Encrypted network for
wireless access. WVU.Encrypted offers secure transmission of
data and remembers your Login credentials as you move around the campuses. (
Please note: WVU.Guest is intended only for visitors to campus; students
who attempt to connect to it will see an error message.)
- You can
connect gaming consoles, TVs and other kinds of devices to WVU.Play.
This includes the Amazon Echo and Echo Dot. You must first go to
mydevices.wvu.edu, enter your Login credentials, then enter
the MAC address of the device. (
Please note: Wii devices will not work on WVU's wireless network because
our newer technology does not support these older systems.)
When traveling, WVU students can instantly connect to the Wi-Fi networks at some 360 universities worldwide through eduroam , a secure roaming access service that acts as one large wireless hot spot. Just search for active networks at any of the participating institutions, select “eduroam” and enter your Login user name followed by @mail.wvu.edu. ( Please note: MIX email addresses do not work with eduroam.)
Visitors to the Morgantown, WVU Beckley, WVU Tech and Potomac State campuses can enter their credentials from their home institutions and likewise have immediate access to WVU networks. The eduroam service is available in all WVU buildings except residence halls.
Internet service and cable TV at University Place and University Place are NOT provided by WVU. For cable TV assistance, call Comcast at (855) 638-2855. For Internet support, call ITG Networks at (800) 374-5872.
Need to find a classmate or instructor? Check the WVU Directory. If you need to update or correct your own information in the directory, you must do so by changing it yourself in STAR or by contacting the Office of the University Registrar. WVU provides certain public information, also called “directory information,” about students in accordance with the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Don’t want your information to be visible online? Contact the Office of the University Registrar and fill out a confidentiality form.
NEVER share your Login credentials with a friend. You could be held liable for any inappropriate activity they conduct, such as illegally downloading copyrighted videos, music or other materials. The rules are spelled out in our Acceptable Use of Data and Technology Resources policy.
- Learn how to Defend Your Data! Get tips on how to make strong passwords, spot phishing scams and more.
- Personal Web Hosting: Students and Faculty
- Student Organizations: Contact University Relations-Digital Services, which offers space on www.wvu.edu for student organizations and special University-recognized events and projects. Please fill out the site registration form.