A University policy that formalizes and standardizes practices around the issuance and proper disposal of WVU identification cards has been approved by the University Planning Committee and posted online. Among other things, this policy:
- Specifies that ID cards are a technology resource and therefore subject to the WVU Acceptable Use of Data and Technology Resources policy;
- Prohibits the sharing of ID cards;
- Defines the intended uses and misuse of ID cards;
- Clarifies that Information Technology Services will limit the collection and distribution of personal data collected when issuing an ID card.
- Prohibits units from confiscating cards from students, as this effectively locks them out of their rooms, prevents them from eating, may affect classroom attendance, etc.
The Mountaineer Card Standard and the Identification Card Photo Use Standard, which provide governance and consistency with how cards are produced and ID card photos are shared, are also posted at https://it.wvu.edu/policies-and-procedures/privacy. Please direct questions to ITSHelp@mail.wvu.edu.