ITS wants you to keep your online presence safe from the 3.48 billion people worldwide using social media. Connect with confidence and safely navigate social media by following these steps:
Update the privacy and security settings on every social media account. That includes disabling geotagging to prevent people from seeing your location and checking your app permissions to only download from trusted vendors.
- Only connect with people you know and trust.
- Share your information with care. There is no delete button on the internet.
- Report and block harassing users, and report an incident if you’ve been a victim of cybercrime.
- Create strong passwords for all social media accounts.
- Make sure your devices are up to date with the latest operating system version and anti-virus protection.
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM), and ITS wants to help you Defend Your Data. Learn how to develop good cybersecurity habits and stay protected online by visiting https://staysafeonline.org.
For real-time service outage updates and other important IT announcements, please follow @WVUITServices on Twitter or “like” WVU Information Technology on Facebook.