- Update your software. Get free Sophos anti-virus protection at https://freeav.wvu.edu.
- Turn on “Find My Device” tracking features and remote wiping options in case your device is lost or stolen.
- Back up your data so it’s recoverable if your device is stolen or corrupted.
- If traveling internationally, consider leaving personal devices at home and purchasing a temporary phone for the trip.
- Faculty and staff should inquire with their IT support staff about WVU-owned loaner laptops. The use of personal devices to access University systems while traveling abroad is highly discouraged.
While traveling, keep your devices secure and be aware of people looking over your shoulder. Also avoid connecting to public USB charging stations or public Wi-Fi networks. Turn off automatic Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections, and assume that on any wireless network, your data is being monitored.
Once you return home, change the passwords for all services and systems you used while away, and run a virus and malware scan on the device(s) you used.
Learn more at DefendYourData.wvu.edu.