- Always use a secure WVU system such as STAR or a University network drive. NEVER
download this kind of data to a computer, workstation or mobile device.
- Never share this kind of information to systems outside WVU or by an unsafe method
such as email or instant messaging.
- Secure unoccupied workstations. Either log off or lock the screen. Configure your computer to automatically lock after sitting idle for 5-10 minutes.
- Lock physical files in a cabinet or room when you are not actively using them.
- When no longer needed, safely discard personally identifiable information by shredding
physical files. Ask your IT department for assistance removing electronic files
from University-owned computers.
Personally identifiable information also includes such data as WVU Login credentials, credit card numbers, birthplace, mother’s maiden name and educational transcripts.