Security Camera Installation and Usage Standard
IntroductionThe purpose of this Standard is to regulate the use of security cameras in order to:
- Achieve a safe and secure campus environment and protect University property.
- Support the mission and charge of the University Police Department.
- Provide transparency in the use of security camera technology.
- Ensure the protection of individual privacy rights in accordance with applicable laws and the University’s core values.
Standard1.1. Security Camera Equipment and Technology
- All security cameras must be integrated into the University Police Department’s video management system.
- A University-wide configuration standard will be developed and disseminated and will govern all future installations.
- Existing security equipment may be utilized only until the manufacturers’-announced end of service or end of life cycle or replacement.
- Audio recording is not permitted unless consent has been given by one party to the conversation or otherwise in accordance with applicable laws.
- Security cameras may not be placed in areas where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. This includes any area in which a person may be totally or partially nude or areas that exist specifically for the health or comfort of employees, including, but not limited to: places designated for the safeguarding of employee possessions, restrooms, shower rooms, locker rooms, dressing rooms, and employee lounges.
- All buildings and grounds on the WVU campus are subject to security camera coverage, either in fixed or temporary mounts, in accordance with § 2.2.i of this Standard and all other applicable laws.
- The University Police will be consulted prior to the installation of any security camera and/or monitoring device, and will determine if installation of same is warranted and/or meets appropriate laws and University standards and policies.
- Security cameras will be mounted and signage posted according to applicable laws.
- Digital and/or analog recordings will be stored for review for a minimum of seven (7) days or for such a period as may be governed by applicable laws, or in accordance with evidentiary requirements.
|Name||Subject (if needed)|
|Alex Jalso||Information Security||ACJalso@mail.wvu.edu|
|Ricky Jackson||University Police||Ricky.Jackson@mail.wvu.edu|